Thursday, May 26, 2011

28 Weeks

If our baby was born this week, he would have a 95% chance of survival. Fortunately, there's no sign of those odds being tested as everything continues to go well. My blood pressure is still normal and hasn't begun to rise yet.

At today's ultrasound, we discussed kick counts and birth options (or possible lack thereof). With respect to kicking, I'm supposed to start tracking how long it takes the baby to kick 10 times and keep a log every day. If his normal kick pattern changes or decreases, then there could be a problem. While I haven't been actually physically tracking his kicking so far, he's generally very active especially after I eat. He reaches 10 kicks in about 2 minutes! This afternoon, work took us out to see Kung Fu Panda 2, and the baby kicked constantly throughout the whole movie.

As for birth options, at the moment a c-section is looking more and more likely. Up until recently, my ulcerative colitis had been pretty quiet, but over the last few weeks it's started to flare. Unfortunately, if it's still active by delivery, the best option for me will be a c-section to reduce the risk of a fistula or intestinal tear. My flares usually last for a couple of months, so it remains to be seen if it will be quiet again by early August...

Today's ultrasound pictures aren't really good enough to post, so no eye candy this week. Sorry!

This Week's Stats:
Gestational Age: 28 weeks, 1 day
Baby's Weight: 2 lbs 9 ounces
Heart Rate: 143 bmp
Vegetable Comparison: Eggplant
My Weight change: + 8 pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment