Thursday, July 7, 2011

34 weeks & things are looking good!

We can all breathe a little easier today as the baby is looking very healthy and gained some weight. He's still a little behind his former growth curve, but not as far behind as two weeks ago. He's now in the 40% percentile for his age.

His kidneys are still holding a very small amount of extra fluid, so they will need to be checked by his pediatrician after birth. However, Dr. P. thinks that it will probably resolve without any intervention as the amount is barely over the normal cutoff (6mm instead of 5mm).

In other news, I met with my gastroenterologist last week to discuss my colitis flare and birth options. He said my flare sounds pretty mild and there's a good chance it will resolve by delivery. Even better, he doesn't think there's any need for a c-section at this point since UC doesn't typically cause fistulas unless it's very severe (which mine is not). So, we are currently planning on an induction around August 5th. I'll know the final date and time on Monday!

I'm feeling very fortunate these days. I'm thrilled that I'm almost at the end of the pregnancy (something which I never believed would actually happen, based on my history), and even better, the third trimester has been pretty easy overall. I know of so many women who are just miserable at this point, and I was warned over and over about how difficult it would be. Amazingly, I still feel really good. I'm not experiencing swelling, or varicose veins, or hemorrhoids, or severe heartburn, or almost any of the myriad of third trimester discomforts. My back is a little sore at the end of the day, and I'm slightly more tired than normal, but honestly, I think the first trimester was a lot harder than this one. Dr. P. said she thinks this can be attributed to how much I love my job as I'm really motivated to work as long as possible. She said if I hated my job, I'd probably be miserable and in pain. Interesting, no?

Today's Stats:
Gestational Age: 34 weeks, 1 day
Baby's Weight: 5 lbs, 1 ounce
Fruit Comparison: Honeydew Melon
Weeks until delivery: 4
Weeks until I stop work: 3
My weight change: + 11 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment