Thursday, January 27, 2011

First OB visit

I was originally supposed to first see my OB next week for the NT scan, but instead I saw her today due to Monday's incident.

As it turns out, I have a small subchorionic hematoma that was visible on the ultrasound today. It's around 1 inch across but doesn't appear to be causing a problem at the moment. The baby was very active with a heart rate of 167 bpm. It's measuring a little ahead at 11 weeks, 5 days.


Of course I had a ton of questions for her:

Q: Why did this happen? Was it due to the Lovenox?
A: We don't know why. Sometimes these things just happen. The lovenox didn't cause it and it probably would have happened even if I wasn't on blood thinners. There is an increased risk of miscarriage until it resolves, but right now the baby looks great and is developing right on track.

Q: How long should I stay on Lovenox and baby aspirin?
A: For the entire pregnancy. Since we don't know 100% why I've lost so many pregnancies but I have moderately high anticardiolipin antibodies, it's best to just keep treating me as if that's the sole cause. I will switch to heparin around 34 weeks and we will schedule an induction about 10 days before my due date so we can take me off the blood thinners before hand. If I got into labor while on blood thinners, I won't be able to have an epidural! So, if all goes well, I will have the baby in the first week of August.

Q: How often will I be monitored?
A: Every other week until 32 weeks, then every week. Being high risk means lots of scans!

Q: How long do I have to stay on bed rest?
A: Through the weekend. I can go back to work on Monday assuming there is no more heavy bleeding.

Q: How long do I have to stay on pelvic rest?
A: At least 3 weeks, probably longer. This means no exercise beyond walking and no sex.

Q: Will I be able to fly to Seattle at the end of February?
A: Maybe. She will check me a couple of days beforehand and make a decision then.


Also, I lost 5 pounds in the last month! I'm elated since I've tried REALLY hard to not gain any weight yet. Since I'm starting out overweight, I need to keep my total weight gain between 15 and 25 pounds. I figured this would be difficult since I haven't been allowed to go to the gym in, like, 3 months. I guess nausea does have some benefits!

Best part for last; here are the latest pics of our little alien baby:
The SCH is the black spot on the left.

What a nice, alien-looking brain you have!

2 comments:

  1. ihad the same thing with Jack...it was so scary! I hope it resolves soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your baby is b-e-a-utiful! I had an SCH but never made it as far as you so I'm glad your doctor is taking such good care of you! I'm on heparin now so I wonder how much stronger or weaker Lovenox is? Hmmm.

    Oh and I gave you a blog award today because you rock! Come check it out!

    ReplyDelete