Monday, January 24, 2011

Really scary afternoon...

I spoke too soon about having nothing to report today, unfortunately.

Around 4 this afternoon, I was sitting at my desk trying to resist the urge to buy some french fries as a snack. I shifted position and felt a major gush of blood let loose! I ran to the bathroom and my liner and underwear were soaked. I also passed a giant 2 inch clot that could have been blood, or could have been placenta. I've never had such heavy bleeding in my life and I quickly soaked through a thicker pad. I started having some occasional sharp cramps and I was sure I was losing the baby.

I called the clinic and they told me to go to the ER since the doctor had already left. I called Chad and he rushed over to pick me up (good think he works 5 minutes away). I asked the 1 coworker who knows I'm pregnant if he could keep an eye on my dog and tell my boss I was leaving, and I called my sister and her boyfriend and asked them if they could come pick the puppy up and take him home for me. I'm so thankful to have them here and so willing to help me out!!

We got to the ER at just the right time with only 1 person in the waiting room ahead of us. Within 30 minutes they did a quick ultrasound and we got to see that the baby was moving around and looked fine. Eventually they took me back for a more in depth ultrasound and after 30 mins of searching, the tech couldn't see any cause for my bleeding. She thought maybe I'd had a cyst burst. The little bean was incredibly active with a heart rate of 165 and measured 11 wks 3 days. It was crazy seeing the little thing dancing and wiggling so much. You'd never know anything was wrong from the way it was behaving.

Anyway, the ER doctor said to rest and see my OB asap tomorrow to check things out again. I was discharged around 3.5 hours after arriving and given a stack of paperwork to bring to my doctor.

I'm still pretty unnerved by the whole experience, but at least the baby looks okay for now. The bleeding has slowed down to a watery red consistency at least. I'll be staying home tomorrow or until my OB says I can go back to work. I'm supposed to take it easy for the next 3 weeks: pelvic rest, no lifting, and no exercise. It looks like I'll be catching up on some trash TV tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. We're glad you are doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness how scary for you - I'm so happy the baby is doing well and I hope you can enjoy a little rest. I also hope you get some answers as to why this happened... (((hugs!)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. im glad everything is ok!!! i bleed like that with jack once at 13weeks and 17weeks. it was awful...i was on bedrest for quite awhile but he was fine through it all.

    ReplyDelete